Buying & Selling

Selling, buying, and leasing real estate requires a lot of planning and organizing of information. As our client, we'll take the lead and advise you as we walk through the process together. When you have questions, or the need to review information arises, we hope the following tools will be helpful to you.

Property Details

We use many resources, including the following, to do preliminary research to help you make an informed decision about a property.

County Clerk

Deeds, leins, recorded plats and surveys, subivision restrictions, and other documents such as a conversion of a mobile home to real estate document can be obtained at the county clerk's office or "Deeds" office, usually located in the county court house.

PVA (Property Valuation Administration)

Tax records, deed histories, (proposed) property line aerial maps, and detailed information about a property can be found at the county PVA office or web site. Many county PVA offices use the services of Qpublic for their online records. Visit the Qpublic site here:

Restrictions & Zoning

Always check a deed or subdivision plat for specific restrictions, and it's also important to note the zoning designation and confirm the regulations and restrictions in the area. For example, you may not be allowed to operate a business in a property in a residential zone, or offer short-term rentals (ie., AirBNB) on an investment property in an area that's restricted to long-term rentals.
Somerset KY Schedule of Zones
R1 Single Family Residential
R-1A Single Family Residential (small lot)
R-2 Single Family Residential (duplex low moderate)
R-3 Medium-High Density Residential
B-1 Central Business District
B-2 Highway Oriented Commercial
B-3 Neighborhood Commercial
I-1 Light Industrial
I-2 Heavy Industrial
P Public and Semi-Public

Somerset KY Zoning Map


Buyers who are financing a purchase will be required to obtain an insurance binder prior to closing. In addition, it is highly recommended to check if a property is located in a designated floodplain, since this will affect the insurance rate substantially. You can look up flood zones, here:

Title Search and Appraisal

When you buy or sell a property, the lending company will engage the services of a title company (or might have these services in-house) to check for any existing liens and to verify the deed. The title company usually oversees the closing, collects signatures, distributes payments, and is responsible for recording the new deed and finalizing all transaction records.

Lending companies typically have an appraisal completed to determine the value of a property, but an in-depth home inspection is usually not required. We recommend that all buyers engage the services of a home inspector and a title company.

Home Inspection

The time period to conduct a home inspection and negotiate repairs is requested in the buyers offer to purchase.

The buyer chooses the inspector, and meets with the inspector at the property to discuss any issues. The buyer usually pays for the inspection on the day it is performed.

The inspector should provide the buyer with a detailed report in PDF format, including photos, within a day or two.

As the buyer’s agent, we help the buyer review the report and if the home is still considered suitable for purchase, we write up a request for repairs and negotiate those repairs between the buyer and seller. We do not recommend that the buyer shares the actual report with the homeowner, unless they share or cover the inspection expense.

If the repair negotiation is not successful, the buyer will have the option to cancel the contract within the inspection period specified on their offer to purchase. A release document is signed by both parties and the buyer’s earnest money deposit is usually returned immediately

It is recommended that a complete home evaluation is ordered, including radon testing, septic inspection, and termite Inspection.

All utilities must be turned on in order to perform the inspection and test all systems.  

If radon testing is included, a monitor will need to be set and will stay in place for a minimum of 48 hours.

If a septic inspection is scheduled, it may be necessary for the yard to be disturbed to gain access to the tank for a proper inspection. In cases where the septic is be significantly buried, it may be necessary to utilize a small excavator.

Vacant Land Utilities

City Water

Western Pulaski County Water District
+1 (606) 679-1569
In 2023, $979 meter install includes all work. They run waterline from the main to the new meter. You would need a plumbers construction permit and the property must have a physical address. All paperwork must be completed at the water company along with payment. The meter will usually be installed within two weeks.

McCreary County
$800 up to 50 feet

Well Water

If city water is not available, you might be able to install a well on the property. For example, typical costs in 2023 in the Pulaski County area for well digging average about $2700 for the first 100 feet with additional costs of about $17 per foot to go deeper. The well digger will need to go deep enough that none of the other ground water/sinkhole deposits etc. are contaminating the water source.  Once the well is dug, the digger puts a cap on top. Next a plumber comes and installs a well pump that is run by electricity. That is dropped down into the well. The plumber also installs the plumbing pipes and a regulator tank that goes into the home. The regulator tank (and other fittings) keeps the water flowing at an even pressure. The plumbing work and all equipment will usually cost about $3000.

City Sewer Map

Check here to see if city sewer is available at your location:

Percolation Tests for Septic System

Before purchasing a property for residential use you will need to ensure it is capable of having  a septic system installed (if it is not on city sewer and there is not an existing septic system). Never submit an offer for land you intend to build a home on (or other facility with running water) without specifying the offer is contingent on a successful percolation test.

In general, you will need to contact the county health department to see if an existing "perc test" is available for the subject property. If a test is not confirmed, you will need to pay the health department an application fee and apply for a percolation test to be conducted by their staff. Be prepared to find someone with a backhoe to dig the test holes, and pay them for their services separately.

Whether the perc test passes or fails, these fees are generally not reimbursed to you by the seller. Installation of a septic system is a separate expense. The health department will usually provide a list of certified installers.


Pulaski County Health Department
(606) 679-4416
45 Roberts Street
Somerset KY 42501
(out E. Mt. Vernon / Hwy. 192)

Prepare property for test
* Determine general area for leach lines/septic tank
* Dig holes (inspector climbs down in it); 42” deep x 42" wide (usually dug with a backhoe)

Application Fee $227
* Pay by check payable LCDHD
* Best time to go is 8-9:30 M-F (out doing fieldwork after then)
* Need Address or good directions (hole should be already dug)
* Pick up list of certified septic tank installers while you’re there
* Inspection is sometimes done the same day
* Call HD to get results

Septic Tank Installation
* Certified installer will get permit and do septic install
* Health Dept. Permit Fee for installer $271
* Charges for septic install varies, (ie., size of house, number of bedrooms, size of septic tank, work involved to dig leach lines, etc.).
* Costs of $4500 or so are typical for a 1000 gallon tank install.

Electric Service

SKRECC FEES (Pulaski County KY)
$100 per pole (for meter; other poles to run service might be included with install)
$5.50/ft. Electric line (first 1000 ft free/residential)

$510.92 for RV electric box drop

Poles are typically spaced about 125 ft (38 m) apart in urban areas, or about 300 ft (91 m) in rural areas, but distances vary widely based on terrain. Joint-use poles are usually owned by one utility, which leases space on it for other cables.

Real Estate Service Providers

Information will be added soon.


Always ask for clarification when someone uses special terms when you're discussing a real estate transaction, since many terms may have more than one meaning, or may be used incorrectly.

Handles the estate if nobody was named in the will.


Person who died.

"Durable” Power of Attorney

With with the "right to sell real estate," gives the designee the power to sign in place of a Seller who has died.


Stuff you own at the time of your death


Person named in the will to take care of the estate (gathers up asssrts/pays bills/turns money to heirs)

Fee simple
“Fee simple” in a deed means ownership of real estate from the center of the earth to high as the heavens.

Died without a will

Living Will
Not a will. It’s a document that states a person's end-of-life choices.

Mineral Rights

Mineral rights bestow ownership of minerals below the surface of a tract of land to explore, develop, and extract the minerals. The mineral interest owner may excavate hard rock minerals such as gold or copper, drill an oil and gas well, or surface mine coal. Even if a deed does purport to convey mineral rights, the deed may be inaccurate if there are historical transfers of the mineral rights that are unknown. The only way to be sure that a deed actually conveys mineral rights is to research the chain of title to confirm the mineral rights were not previously severed and are still a part of the fee simple estate, or if they were severed from the fee simple estate, the title abstractor must research the current owner of the minerals, and whether there are any encumbrances on the minerals.

Personal Representative

Another word for Executor or Administrator.

Power of Attorney

Fiduciary who can sign for someone else (must be specific for "right to sell real estate"); ceases to have power when a person passes away unless it is “Durable” power of attorney.

Court/Legal process where an estate/will is opened for settlement. (A person who is the executor will know for sure if the property is in probate.)

Died with a will.


A person acts on behalf of beneficiary

Document that says where your stuff goes when you pass away. (Not effective until a judge approves it as valid—probated)